I have written previously about turning a side yard into a magnificent backyard area. We all would like at least one (or possibly two) of those, right? Life’s dreamy moments, intimate snuggles or silent conversations require a spot where they could occur.
Though I really do recommend that you imagine the mood that you would like to experience before handling a side yard makeover, then there are also more prosaic applications for that slender region. You may require it to be functional, filling a role that can not be filled by any other spot on your property. So let us look at some inspirational side yards where design and usefulness abounds, as well as the roles they play.
Foyer. Maybe this facet yard was once a blank slate, relegated to keeping trash bins. With the bold addition of three distinct components, it is currently the grand entry to this property, linking the interior and exterior living spaces.
1. The “doorway” appears in the kind of a very simple arbor.Two vertical posts are built on large pedestals. The header beams have been aligned with the roof, providing the structure the ideal scale. A few trellis-like crossbeams lend curiosity and invite a vine to climb their peaks. You know where to go. You can observe the best destination — a conversation and sitting area from the backyard.
2. The “flooring” is nicely aligned with the openingin the arbor, with the inclusion of an additional row of square pavers to make a graphic 3-by-6 tile grid. This treatment is both route and terrace, inviting the addition of furniture for a variety of uses.
3. The trio of planters helps soften the home’s extreme white exterior and participates any pedestrians who walk by. Three same bowls, filled with interesting, textural plants and displayed on stunning concrete cubes, give this space a distinct perspective.
Welcome to my foyer!
LLC & Conte, Conte
Edible backyard. Raised beds lend structure and order to a kitchen garden. Depending on the dimensions, they also can be kid and grandparent friendly.
For instance, this set of eight raised beds, superbly constructed from ipe or comparable hardwood lumber, has details such as mitered corners and easy hardware, making them appropriate for kids who want to stand in the edge and harvest carrots or radishes to their hearts’ content. And the walls that are restricted are broad enough to double as seats — handy for someone with physical limitations.
Largely I respect this side kitchen backyard for its appealing layout, functional spacing (there is room for a wheelbarrow involving the raised beds) along with the excellent proportions that hold their own with the scale of the home.
See how to make a garden bed
Dave Adams Photography
Dining area. Clearly, there is not space for a massive dining room, the sort of teak set together with armchairs so heavy that they’re difficult to move. But that is really why I really like this space. The green wall is a privacy buffer, but it is also the background to the bench for 2 that is situated to look in the space. Blend the bench having a café table and 2 bistro chairs, add some pillows and table linens — and it is an instant gathering location for four friends to enjoy an al fresco meal.
The crushed stone is a flexible alternative, doubling as both floors and route material. Additionally, it is straightforward to rearrange this seats, move the pots round and bring in a couple of stools to accommodate a larger party.
Huettl Landscape Architecture
Sporty space. What better use for a slender strip of property in relation to a European-inspired boccie ball court? Get those couch potatoes from the big-screen TV and encourage a little friendly competition with this timeless game.
The long, narrow measurements of the outdoor drama courtroom line up perfectly in the side garden’s outer edge. Notice the clean lines and fine details — the constructed box that retains the boccie ball court is completed with the same weathered steel used in four very modern weathered-steel planter boxes.
Entertaining place for a bunch. Not much wasted space here — the layout harnesses all the square footage to turn a tiny paved patio into a party room for 10. The ample proportions of a trestle-style dining table and chairs are appropriate here, particularly with a massive condo wall looming over the patio.
Imagine how many beautiful evenings have taken place here. You’re enclosed by a densely planted border, which creates a sensory experience of sounds and scents. Candles flicker in the lanterns. Wineglasses clink, and laughter fills the air. Who wants to spend time indoors when this is the alternative?
Colors Of Green Landscape Architecture
“Carpeted” space. A streamlined distance between the kitchen door and the ceiling, this side lawn has a playful floor treatment that transforms it into something quite unique.
The “rug” of distinct square and rectangular pavers is laid on a bed of contrasting crushed stone. The random-looking (but probably quite carefully arranged) pattern creates a lively energy that moves the eye through this area and makes coming here a treat.
Another reason that this layout is so successful is that the light hand by which it is accessorized: The furnishings and plants are simple, with a single material (walnut) and one color (parrot orange). Wonderful work!
Molly Wood Garden Design
Spot for a leading chef. There are so many good things to say about this facet garden layout, but the most important one is, “please invite me over for a meal! “In the contemporary arbor’s slender profile to the combined flooring of concrete and gravel, this distance uses every inch, top to bottom.
The L-shaped banquette to the right provides chairs for a lot of people and doubles as a very low wall that divides the courtyard from the dining area. The bar/cooking place faces the party (a nice way to maintain the chef participated with guests). I really like the thoughtful inclusion of twin pendant lights suspended from the arbor to light up the food-prep region and the huge mirror in the rear, hung on the outside wall to reflect greenery and light to the area.
Now, what’s for supper?
Sutton Suzuki Architects
A location for luxuriating. This semihidden corner has high marks for numerous reasons.
• The stone wall provides scale and protection. It is comparable to the elevation of an inner wall, relating nicely to both the furniture proportions as well as some other people who occupy the region.
• The overhead arbor is fabricated of metal, creating a very simple grid that uses large openings to show the skies. Vines cover components of the durable arbor, but that is OK, because they too offer protection.
• The seats is just right: 2 cushioned benches and a low coffee table with a massive surface for plants, wineglasses or even dinner dishes. And also the low-maintenance flooring is suitable for maintaining the dining table and chair legs secure.
• Finally, what actually makes this distance lavish is the planting strategy. Textures are lush and diverse. The foliage billows to partially obscure the seating area. It is almost possible to evaporate within — and who would not need to?
8 Splendid Side Yard Designs
Switch Your Side Yard Into a Glorious Garden Room